
July 2-4
Friday morning we woke up in Denver at Darcie and Ryan’s and packed everything up in the cars. I woke up at 5 AM thinking it was 6 AM. I didn’t realize I was up too early until after I showered, dressed, packed, and walked upstairs to load the car. When everyone was still asleep I figured I had it wrong. The funny thing is I did that twice in Honduras too. The time changes are killing me!
We drove about a 4 hour drive through Vail Pass that took us almost 6 hours. Traveling with babies is pretty time consuming. Secretly I was grateful any time we needed to stop for the babies because I always had to go to the bathroom. Guess I got another thing from mom. Driving through Vail pass (straight through the mountains on hwy 70) was amazing, as usual. When we passed over the continental divide the landscape was even more beautiful. I was amazed at the colors and the way the Colorado River snaked along the side of the highway. Darc and Ryan were making fun of me because I have been through that part of the mountains a few times before, but I was always asleep.
Driving through Glenwood Springs was really incredible. There is a train that goes from Denver, through Glenwood Springs, all the way to Grand Junction. I would LOVE to take that train and stop in Glenwood Springs for a weekend. There are mountain bike trails all over the place, paved trails that run along the river, amazing rapids for rafting, and a cute town with plenty to do. I think it would be an amazing get away! Gretta-Corinne would have a great time there too… very kid friendly.
Once we hit Grand Junction the landscape really changed. There are very few trees, mostly desert scrub type vegetation. The rocks are more abrupt and rugged. They are a dominating presence against the blue sky and really breathtaking. I love visiting and seeing this landscape, but I prefer the Denver side with the green pines and more lush greenery.
We got to Katie and Paul’s house in the afternoon and immediately the trip went from peaceful and laid back to stressed and chaotic. The babies doubled, adults tripled, and living space shrank. We had 8 adults and 4 babies crammed into a house that was only partially unpacked from moving in. The house is beautiful though. It is not a huge house, but it is plenty big enough and the details in the house are amazing. There is tile everywhere, on the walls, in the showers, lining the arched door-ways… just beautiful. The best part of the house is the master bed and bath. The shower is a walk-in (like the one we had in Hilton Head) with two shower heads and a long bench. Darcie announced in front of the entire family that she and Ryan would never leave the shower if that was in their house. Thanks Darc! There is also a two sided fire-place that you can see from the bedroom and the bathroom and there are two walk in closets attached to either end of the bathroom. When I grow up I want to have a bathroom like that!
We spent Friday and Saturday helping them unpack and take care of babies. We washed ALL 5 cars on Saturday, in Mark Mang fashion, and then moved on to wash the two wave-runners and the boat. In the evening Ryan, Darcie, Molly and I went to watch fireworks and pigged out on caramel pop-corn. Molly was so cute watching the fireworks. Each one she would say, “ooooh, a red one! Ooooh, a blue one! I like the pink ones. I live the red ones.” Her face was priceless!
Sunday we packed up again and started our drive to Page, AZ. Again, it took a while, but the views were absolutely incredible. Again, I was teased because while I have driven through here before, I was asleep for it so this was the first time I actually saw the views. The orange cliffs and canyons are offset so well by the huge blue sky. The sky seems bluer out here, the air cleaner, the clouds whiter. We drove through monument valley and once again I was taken aback by the dominating force those rocks have over me. They make you feel so small, so insignificant. How people don’t believe in God after seeing these rocks amazes me. Darcie was riding with me while we went through Monument Valley and it was nice to be alone with her. I miss having her to myself, though I understand why I can’t.
When we arrived in Page the work really started. We had to have the boat and wave-runners inspected then, while Mark and Ryan dropped the toys in the water , Jane got the house boat ready and Darcie took care of the babies. Travis and I loaded carts up with the $600 worth of groceries and carried them down the very steep sloped drive to the slip area. Mark, assuming we knew what he was talking about, directed us to a parking lot that was close to the slip then told us our boat was slot 77. Travis and I unfortunately parked in the wrong lot, went down the wrong drive, and found that the boat slips are NOT numbered! We were tired, sun burnt, and really thirsty by the time Jane found us wandering around the slip.
After two more trips up and down to the cars, I put my bike in Mark’s truck bed and we all crashed on the top of the boat to watch the fire works. It was beautiful seeing them over the lake. It reminded me of Innsbrook on the 4th. We would get our lawn chairs and blankets and camp out on the hill over Aspen Lake. That was much more relaxing than swimming 500 meters in it the other day!
After fire works we all set up our beds on the top of the boat. It was amazing laying under the stars as we fell asleep. They are endless and so bright. I wish I knew more about the constellations and stars. Travis was commenting on the way the stars almost form clouds in the distance. He had way too much energy and while he was talking and telling me stories about what he does with his friends at home I fell asleep. I apologized the next morning for falling asleep while he was talking. Gretta and I both have a habit of doing that!
Friday morning we woke up in Denver at Darcie and Ryan’s and packed everything up in the cars. I woke up at 5 AM thinking it was 6 AM. I didn’t realize I was up too early until after I showered, dressed, packed, and walked upstairs to load the car. When everyone was still asleep I figured I had it wrong. The funny thing is I did that twice in Honduras too. The time changes are killing me!
We drove about a 4 hour drive through Vail Pass that took us almost 6 hours. Traveling with babies is pretty time consuming. Secretly I was grateful any time we needed to stop for the babies because I always had to go to the bathroom. Guess I got another thing from mom. Driving through Vail pass (straight through the mountains on hwy 70) was amazing, as usual. When we passed over the continental divide the landscape was even more beautiful. I was amazed at the colors and the way the Colorado River snaked along the side of the highway. Darc and Ryan were making fun of me because I have been through that part of the mountains a few times before, but I was always asleep.
Driving through Glenwood Springs was really incredible. There is a train that goes from Denver, through Glenwood Springs, all the way to Grand Junction. I would LOVE to take that train and stop in Glenwood Springs for a weekend. There are mountain bike trails all over the place, paved trails that run along the river, amazing rapids for rafting, and a cute town with plenty to do. I think it would be an amazing get away! Gretta-Corinne would have a great time there too… very kid friendly.
Once we hit Grand Junction the landscape really changed. There are very few trees, mostly desert scrub type vegetation. The rocks are more abrupt and rugged. They are a dominating presence against the blue sky and really breathtaking. I love visiting and seeing this landscape, but I prefer the Denver side with the green pines and more lush greenery.
We got to Katie and Paul’s house in the afternoon and immediately the trip went from peaceful and laid back to stressed and chaotic. The babies doubled, adults tripled, and living space shrank. We had 8 adults and 4 babies crammed into a house that was only partially unpacked from moving in. The house is beautiful though. It is not a huge house, but it is plenty big enough and the details in the house are amazing. There is tile everywhere, on the walls, in the showers, lining the arched door-ways… just beautiful. The best part of the house is the master bed and bath. The shower is a walk-in (like the one we had in Hilton Head) with two shower heads and a long bench. Darcie announced in front of the entire family that she and Ryan would never leave the shower if that was in their house. Thanks Darc! There is also a two sided fire-place that you can see from the bedroom and the bathroom and there are two walk in closets attached to either end of the bathroom. When I grow up I want to have a bathroom like that!
We spent Friday and Saturday helping them unpack and take care of babies. We washed ALL 5 cars on Saturday, in Mark Mang fashion, and then moved on to wash the two wave-runners and the boat. In the evening Ryan, Darcie, Molly and I went to watch fireworks and pigged out on caramel pop-corn. Molly was so cute watching the fireworks. Each one she would say, “ooooh, a red one! Ooooh, a blue one! I like the pink ones. I live the red ones.” Her face was priceless!
Sunday we packed up again and started our drive to Page, AZ. Again, it took a while, but the views were absolutely incredible. Again, I was teased because while I have driven through here before, I was asleep for it so this was the first time I actually saw the views. The orange cliffs and canyons are offset so well by the huge blue sky. The sky seems bluer out here, the air cleaner, the clouds whiter. We drove through monument valley and once again I was taken aback by the dominating force those rocks have over me. They make you feel so small, so insignificant. How people don’t believe in God after seeing these rocks amazes me. Darcie was riding with me while we went through Monument Valley and it was nice to be alone with her. I miss having her to myself, though I understand why I can’t.
When we arrived in Page the work really started. We had to have the boat and wave-runners inspected then, while Mark and Ryan dropped the toys in the water , Jane got the house boat ready and Darcie took care of the babies. Travis and I loaded carts up with the $600 worth of groceries and carried them down the very steep sloped drive to the slip area. Mark, assuming we knew what he was talking about, directed us to a parking lot that was close to the slip then told us our boat was slot 77. Travis and I unfortunately parked in the wrong lot, went down the wrong drive, and found that the boat slips are NOT numbered! We were tired, sun burnt, and really thirsty by the time Jane found us wandering around the slip.
After two more trips up and down to the cars, I put my bike in Mark’s truck bed and we all crashed on the top of the boat to watch the fire works. It was beautiful seeing them over the lake. It reminded me of Innsbrook on the 4th. We would get our lawn chairs and blankets and camp out on the hill over Aspen Lake. That was much more relaxing than swimming 500 meters in it the other day!
After fire works we all set up our beds on the top of the boat. It was amazing laying under the stars as we fell asleep. They are endless and so bright. I wish I knew more about the constellations and stars. Travis was commenting on the way the stars almost form clouds in the distance. He had way too much energy and while he was talking and telling me stories about what he does with his friends at home I fell asleep. I apologized the next morning for falling asleep while he was talking. Gretta and I both have a habit of doing that!
No comments:
Post a Comment